Vis-en-Artois Memorial to the Missing
The Vis-en-Artois Memorial commemorates 9,847 Allied officers and men who were killed in the period from 8th August 1918 to 11th November 1918. The battle period is known by the Allies as the “Advance to Victory”. This was a series of battles fought in Picardy and Artois during the last months of the war, when the Allied Forces successfully pushed the German Army eastwards as far as Mons over the Belgian border.
The men commemorated on this memorial have no known grave. They are from the Armies of Great Britain, Ireland and South Africa.
The memorial is located at the northern end of the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery. It comprises two 70 foot high pylons with the Stone of Remembrance in the centre section between them, and a wing on either side of the centre section containing the names of the fallen.
A sculpted relief of St. George and the Dragon is located on the wall behind the Stone of Remembrance.
the Vis-en-Artois Memorial was designed by J R Truelove. The sculptures were by Ernest Gillick.
The Memorial was unveiled by the Labour politician and Secretary of State for War, the Right Honourable Thomas Shaw, CBE, at a ceremony held on 4th August 1930.
Search for Names on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial to the Missing
Search the “Debt of Honour” Register held by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for names inscribed on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial. Go to the CWGC website and look through the casualty register at:
Website: www.cwgc.org Vis-en-Artois Memorial Casualty Records
Vis-en-Artois Memorial Location
The memorial is located on the north side of the D939 Arras-Cambrai main road at Haucourt village, just to the east of Vis-en-Artois village.
The memorial is accessible to the public daily and is open at all hours.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission