Cafés and Restaurants on the Somme Battlefields
The Somme battlefields are in a rural, agricultural landscape. The facilities offering food, refreshments and toilets are limited. Pubs and cafés in the French villages will welcome visitors. There are also a number of places with British hosts and hostesses who have settled locally and who can cater for the many English-speaking visitors to the Somme battlefields.
“Ocean Villas” Tea Rooms
10, rue Delattre, 80560 Auchonvillers, France
Tea Rooms serving hot and cold food run by Avril Williams and her family. “Ocean Villas” Tea Rooms are located in the village of Auchonvillers, near to the Newfoundland Memorial Park on the north side of the Albert-Bapaume D929 road.
Coach groups welcome.
- Open every day from 09.00 - 17.00.
- Continental and English breakfast served between 09.00 to 11.00.
- Hot and cold food available all day.
- Range of cakes and snacks.
- Packed lunches can be ordered and collected.
- Special rates and menus for groups (booked in advance).
- Well stocked bar with beers on draught.
Accommodation, a museum and lecture programme are also available at “Ocean Villas”. For more details visit the “Ocean Villas” website.
Telephone & fax: +33 (0)3 22 76 23 66
Old Blighty Tea Room
1 Rue Georges Cuvillier, La Boisselle 80300, France
Tea Room and café run by your hosts Jon and Alison Haslock. Old Blighty Tea Room is located in the village of La Boisselle, just off the main Albert-Bapaume D929 road and close to the Lochnagar Mine Crater Memorial.
Coach groups welcome.
- Thursday to Monday 10.30am to 5pm
- Tuesdays 12 noon to 4pm
- Wednesdays and other times: please contact for an appointment.
Telephone: +33 (0)3 22 64 09 16
Ulster Memorial Tower Visitor Centre
80300 Thiepval, France
The Ulster Memorial Tower Visitor Centre has a small café/tea room serving hot and cold drinks, snacks and confectionery. A large hospitality room is available for groups by appointment.
- Tuesday - Sunday: 10.00 - 18.00 hours (May - September)
- Tuesday - Sunday: 10.00 - 17.00 hours (March and April, October and November)
- Closed on Mondays and for the months of December, January and February.