Tourist Information for the Somme & Picardie, France
Département de la Somme
The battlefields of the Somme are located in the Département de la Somme in the region of Picardie in northern France. The prefecture city of the Département de la Somme is Amiens.
The area is rich in cultural history and beautiful landscapes. Visitors can discover three areas within the Department:
- The Vallée de la Haute Somme (Upper Somme Valley) in the east, where the beautiful Somme river with its famous marshes (marais) and swamps (marécages) winds its way through a gently rolling landscape.
- The central area of Amiens and its surroundings. Amiens is a busy city with shops, hotels, historical buildings including the gothic cathedral, museums, parks and a main line railway station.
- The Baie de Somme (Bay of the Somme) on the Picardie coast in the west, where seaside resorts and fishing villages are to be found on the estuary.
Comité du Tourisme de la Somme
Information on all aspects of visiting the Département de la Somme is available from the official website for the Comité de Tourisme (available in English):
Albert Tourist Office
Pays du Coquelicot - Tourist Office of the Poppy Country
9, rue Gambetta
Telephone: +33 (0)3 22 75 16 42
Amiens Tourist Office
Information & Bookings Office (on the cathedral square to the right of the cathedral main doors):
Office de Tourisme d'Amiens Métropole
40, place Notre-Dame
Amiens Central Tourist Office
This office is 200 metres from the cathedral. Rue Desevel leads off the south-west corner of the Place Notre-Dame at the western doors of the cathedral.
Office de Tourisme d'Amiens
6 bis, Rue Dusevel
Opening Hours for Amiens centre Tourist Offices:
- 1st April to 30th September: Monday to Saturday 9.30am to 6.30pm
- 1st October to 31st March: Monday to Saturday 9.30am to 6pm
- Sundays: 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm
Telephone: +33 (0)3 22 71 60 50
Fax: +33 (0)3 22 71 60 45
”Son et Lumière” La Cathédral en Couleurs Light Show
The tourist board is open during the annual summer “Son et Lumière” light show at the cathedral:
- From 15th June: 10pm to 11.45pm
- July: 9.30pm to 11.15pm
- August: 9pm to 9.45pm
- September (until the third Sunday): 8.45pm to 10.30pm
Somme Battlefields' Partner
The Somme Battlefields' Partner is a recently established network created for visitors to the Somme, where local professionals involved in tourism and the history of this battlefield area have come together.
The Somme Battlefields' Partner network offers information to visitors planning a trip to the Somme. It can help visitors to find their way around the area, visit the major 1WW historical sites on their own or with guides, find places to stay and eat, and discover what events are on in the area related to the First World War battles.
The Somme Battlefields' Partner website “Somme Battlefields” offers lots of useful information including online booking for accommodation, news, events, a paper or online brochure, weather forecasts, books and films, list of guides. Visit the website at:
Visiting the Somme Battlefields
See our introductory page about visiting the Somme battlefields, with links to our pages about the places to visit and sights to see, such as cemeteries, memorials and preserved battlefield sites: