Visitor Centre for Ypres and the Westhoek (Tourist Office)
The Visitor Centre offers advice and information on where to eat, where to stay, and what a visitor can do and see at all times of the year in this famous city and surrounding region.
There is a wide range of leaflets available with maps and suggested routes for walking, cycling and driving around the town and the Westhoek area.
A free interactive exhibition about Ypres and the wider region can be viewed with a special interactive touch-table which features First World War topics of interest.
- Visitor Centre Shop
- Visitor Centre Opening Hours
- Traffic Arrangements for Coaches in Ypres
- Events and Information on Ieper - Ypres
- Ieper Visitor Centre (Tourist Office) Contact Details
- Location of Visitor Centre for Ypres (Tourist Office)
Visitor Centre Shop
The shop is large and very well stocked, offering a wide variety of books, maps, postcards, CDs and other souvenirs of a visit to Ieper.
Many of the items in the shop are related to the period of the First World War.
The shop is also accessed at the end of a tour of the award-winning In Flanders Fields Museum. For information about this museum housed in the Cloth Hall go to our page at:In Flanders Fields Museum, Ieper (Ypres)
Summer: 1 April - 14 November
- Monday - Friday 09.00-18.00 hours
- Saturday & Sunday: 10.00-18.00 hours
Winter: 15 November - 1 April
- Monday - Saturday 09.00-17.00 hours
- Saturday & Sunday: 10.00-17.00 hours
Christmas Day and New Year's Day
Coaches will be required to follow arrangements for dropping off, parking and coach routes and these are outlined in a brochure. You can download this brochure as a pdf document. If you have any further questions you are advised to contact the Visitor Centre (see contact details below).
The website for Ypres and the Westhoek can provide lots of information about visiting Ieper. The website is in Dutch, French, English and German and it offers information for everything you might need to know about the city, its facilities and what it has to offer in the way of cultural events and entertainment.
Special Events in Ieper (Ypres)
- Kattenstoet/Cats Parade: Sunday 10 May 2015. Held every three years. Free to watch along the route of the parade. For tickets to the stands you can visit the website: www.kattenstoet.be
- GEKO Ypres Rally: 25-27 June 2015. Held annually, usually on the last weekend of June. You can visit the website for information: www.ypresrally.com
- Christmas Market: Held annually in December.
Ieper Visitor Centre (Tourist Office) Contact Details
Visitors' Centre of Ypres (Ieper) and the Westhoek Lakenhallen (Cloth Hall)
Grote Markt 34
Telephone +32 (0)57 239 220
Fax +32 (0)57 239 275
Website for the City of Ieper: www.ieper.be
Location of Visitor Centre for Ypres (Tourist Office)
The Visitor Centre for Ypres and the Westhoek is located on the south side of the Cloth Hall.
About Ieper - Ypres
See our pages about Ypres, an overview of its history and the sites of interest to see:
The Cloth Hall (Lakenhallen)
The Visitor Centre (Tourist Office) is located inside the famous Cloth Hall of Ypres. The Cloth Hall was damaged by German artillery shelling from November 1914. By the end of the war exactly four years later is was almost completely demolished, with only the stump of the belfry tower footings remaining. For more information about this famous building go to our page at:The Cloth Hall (Lakenhallen)
Photograph of visitors in the Visitor Centre courtesy of the Visitor Centre for Ypres and the Westhoek.
(GWPDA) Photograph with grateful thanks to the Great War Primary Document Archive: Photos of the Great War.