Tourist Information for the Ypres Salient & West Flanders
Flanders Region & West Flanders Province
Flanders (Vlaanderen), also known as the Flemish Region (Vlaams Gewest), forms the region and community in the northern part of Belgium. The Flanders region is split into five provinces. The western-most province is West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen). This is the area where the Belgian coast, Yser and Ypres Salient battlefields are located.
Tourist information is available online or from tourist offices in the battlefield areas to help visitors to discover the rich culture and history of West Flanders. There are lots of things to see and do in the area to complement a visit to the First World War battlefields.
- Flanders Tourism Online
- Heuvelland Tourist Office
- Messines / Mesen: Tourist Office
- Poperinge: Tourist Office
- Ypres / Ieper: Visitor Centre for Ypres
- Zonnebeke: Tourist Information Centre
Flanders Tourism Online
365 Discovery Days
Eupedia Belgium Travel Guide
Website: www.eupedia.com West Flanders Province
Website: www.lonelyplanet.com Belgium/Flanders
Heuvelland Tourist Office
The area of Heuvelland in the south of West-Flanders comprises wooded hills affording great views and 8 villages: De Klijte, Dranouter, Kemmel, Loker, Westouter, Wijtschate, Wulvergem and Nieuwkerke.
- 1 April - 15 November: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 09.00-12.00 hours & 13.30-16.00 hours; Tuesday 09.00-16.00 hours; Saturday: 09.30-12.00 & 12.30-16.00 hours; Sunday & Public Holidays: 10.00-16.00.
- 15 November - 31 March: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10.00-12.00 hours & 13.30-16.00 hours; Tuesday 09.00-16.00; Saturday 09.30-12.00 & 12.30-16.00 hours; Sunday & Public Holidays: closed.
Heuvelland Tourist Office, Sint Laurentiusplein 1, 8950 Heuvelland (Kemmel)
Telephone: +32 (0)57 45 04 55
Fax: +32 (0)57 44 89 99
Messines / Mesen: Tourist Office
The Messines/Mesen Tourist Office is situated on the market place close to the band stand.
Guided tours for groups (min 15 persons) can also be arranged in the weekend and out of office hours. Please contact the tourist office for more information.
- Monday to Thursday: 09.00-12.00 hours and 13.30-17.00 hours; Friday 09.00-12.00 hours and 13.30-16.00 hours
Tourist Office of Messines, Markt 22, 8957 Messines
Telephone: +32 (0)57 22 17 14
Fax: +32 (0)57 48 65 63
Poperinge: Tourist Office
- 1 April- 30 September: Monday - Friday 9.00-12.00 hours & 13.00-17.00 hours; Saturday, Sunday & Feast Days (public holidays) 09.00-12.00 hours and 13.00-16.00 hours.
- 1 October - 31 March: Monday to Friday 09.00-12.00 hours & 13.00-17.00 hours; Saturday 09.00-12.00 hours & 13.00-16.00 hours
Toerisme Poperinge, Grote Markt 1, 8970 Poperinge
Telephone: +32 (0)57 - 34 66 76
Fax: +32 (0)57 - 33 57 03
Ypres / Ieper: Visitor Centre for Ypres
The Ypres Visitor Centre is located in the Cloth Hall in the centre of Ypres.
See our page about the Visitor Centre for more information and a link to the Visitor Centre website:
Zonnebeke: Tourist Information Centre
The Information Centre is located in the grounds of the Zonnebeke chateau, which is the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917.
- Open from February to November: Monday to Friday: 10.00-18.00 hours; Saturday and Sunday: 14.00–18.00 hours
- December and January: The Memorial Museum is closed but the Tourist Information Centre is open Monday to Friday: 10.00-17.00 hours
Ieperstraat 5 - BE-8980 Zonnebeke
Telephone: +32 (0)51 77 04 41
Fax: +32 (0)51 78 07 50
Useful Links for the Westhoek Region
- West Flanders - Westhoek official website. For information about the province (Flemish language only). Website: www.west-vlaanderen.be
- Tourist Office of Messines: A website in Flemish. It contains information about sites to see in and around Messines, the smallest town in Belgium, including opening hours for the tourist office and the museum housed there. Website: www.mesen.be
- Tourist Office of Zonnebeke: The site contains information about the five villages in the region of Zonnebeke: Beselare, Geluveld, Zandvoorde, Passendale (Paschenedaele) and Zonnebeke. Website: www.zonnebeke.be
- A website containing a database of all monuments, sites, locations, cemeteries in the Westhoek area; an historical overview of the battles in the Ypres Salient; list of links to useful websites; general tourist information. Website: www.greatwar.be
Visiting the Ypres Salient
See our introductory page about visiting the battlefields of the Ypres Salient. There are links to our pages for the places to visit and sights to see, such as military cemeteries, memorials and preserved battlefield sites: