Berks Cemetery Extension
There are 876 burials of Commonwealth servicemen in this cemetery.
The cemetery was started here in June 1916. It was used for burials until September 1917. After the First World War graves from the Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery and Extension were brought to this cemetery for reburial.
“Hyde Park Corner”
A road junction north of the wood of Ploegsteert (“Plugstreet Wood”) was named Hyde Park Corner by the British soldiers.
The large wood north of the village of Ploegsteert was named “Plugstreet Wood” by the British soldiers serving there. It has become one of the well-known place names in British military history.
Harold Chalton Bradshaw designed this cemetery together with the Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing and the Berks Cemetery Extension.
Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing
The Ploegsteert Memorial, commemorating over 11,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom and South African Forces is located in the grounds of the Berks Cemetery Extension.
Location of Berks Cemetery Extension
Berks Cemetery Extension is located approximately 12.5 kms south of the centre of Ypres (Ieper). It is situated on the west side of the N365 main road between Mesen (Messines) and Armentières. The Ploegsteert Memorial is situated in the grounds of the cemetery.
There is a designated parking layby at the memorial and the cemetery. Visitors are advised to take great care when moving about parked vehicles. Special care should be taken if crossing the road to the Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery on the opposite side of the road. Children should be supervised at all times when near this road.
Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery
Located on the opposite side of the road to the Ploegsteert Memorial, a small cemetery contains the remains of two young soldiers who served and were killed in action under-age.